New Hiking Trail #3
Who: the extreme things crew
What: hiking, rope climbing and swinging, scrambling, and hip deep water crossings
Why: I love a good hike!
When: 03/07/10
Where: Santa Ynez Canyon in Topanga State Park, Pacific Palisades, CA
I really liked this trail and need to get back to it again soon.
 |
| The view started out with grassy open fields...and a few deer if you look closely at the center of the photo. |
 |
| It may say no bikes, but we saw some crazy mountain bikers getting ready to head down just as we reached the top and finished our hike. By the size of their calves, I would have to say this wasn't their first time doing this! |
 |
| View before heading down the trail into the canyon |
 |
| Things started to get a little more woodsy the further down we went. |
 |
| Near the bottom we reached a stream which followed along the trail and had to be crossed several times. |
 |
| One of the stream crossings and small climbs. (I'm in the front with the orange pack.) |
 |
| Waterfall! |
 |
| First rope climb up the rock just to the left of the waterfall. Out of the 30 or so people on this hike, my friend J and I were the only females to climb this while the rest sat and ate lunch. Come on ladies (and half the gentlemen), this isn't called extreme things for nothing! |
 |
| Another one of the crossings after the first rope climb. There was a rope to swing on, but the angle was too awkward to get across...so we decided to just walk right through. It was around hip-deep. J and I were the first ones through which earned us the honor?? of being called bad ass chicks. I think that's a compliment. |
 |
| Another rope/rope ladder climb. This one was HARD and only 4 of our now 10-ish crew made it to the top. Some didn't try out of fear that the rope was not ours and others simply could not make it. I think I finally found something my body knows how to do right and this was something I really needed... |
 |
| Back at the end of the hike. So pretty! |
And then off to a BBQ pit for lunch and a beer. A beautiful way to spend a Sunday morning.
I wouldn't trust someone else's rope with my fat ass, not a concern of yours but still...
: )
Looks like fun!
That's amazing! I wish I had the locations and the guts to do some of this stuff!
Looks pretty awesome. We need to do a JT trip sometime and get you out climbing!! What say you?
Please, FM. You're working much too hard right now to talk that way about your hind end! Keep kicking some ass, friend.
SH, I suspect you have the guts! It's just finding these places that is tricky.
Phoebe, yes!! JT sounds awesome. I am hoping to take a rock climbing class this month, but not sure where it will be held yet. Hope to get a few of these kinds of climbs in and then I will be good to go for JT. Let's talk soon and see what we can get scheduled!! Would love to see you again!!!